MAPS Public Benefit Corporation (MPBC) catalyzes healing and well-being through psychedelic drug development, therapist training programs, and sales of prescription psychedelics prioritizing public benefit above profit. Founded in 2014, MPBC is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. More information about the organization is available at mapspublicbenefit.com.
MPBC is committed to the evolution of psychedelic healing modalities. We are building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We value transparency, autonomy, experimentation, and kind, direct feedback. We welcome applicants who thrive in the midst of a growing organization that values science and healing.
MPBC advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, arrest or conviction record, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, MPBC strives to establish and maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is supportive and free from discrimination.
The MAPS Public Benefit Corporation Chief Financial Officer (CFO) has primary responsibility for the planning, implementation, managing and running of all the finance activities of a company, including business planning, budgeting, forecasting and negotiations. MAPS PBC is looking for an experienced and creative thinker to build a mission-driven drug development company. The CFO works as a member of the MAPS executive management team members and takes ownership of all company fiscal and financial regulatory matters. To do well in this role you should have experience as a CFO of a drug development company or related business. Ideal candidate will have experience bringing a new drug or treatment to market. They must be able to engage with staff at all levels of the organization and exercise sound judgement.
Location: This is a remote position from a suitable home office with a private and quiet area to work. Secure internet and reliable phone reception are required. This position requires frequent phone and internet video meetings. Certain home office expenses may be reimbursed. A work computer will be provided. The MAPS PBC headquarters office is located in Santa Cruz, CA. Occasional travel may be required.
Business Hours are 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM Monday-Friday PST. The exact schedule may be arranged upon hire. Occasional weekend hours may be required with advance arrangement.
- At least 10 years of CFO experience preferably with nonprofit and clinical trial experience
- An MBA or CPA is also highly desirable
- Strong financial and accounting background, including an understanding of profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow management and general finance and budgeting
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, timelines, and priorities effortlessly
- Experience with corporate governance and complex technology systems
- Proven negotiation skills
- Experience with budget management, public accounting, and cash flow
- Ability to understand new issues quickly and make wise decisions
- Ability to inspire confidence and create trust
- Ability to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively and delegate
- A cohesive ability at interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and written
- Providing leadership, direction and management of the finance and accounting team
- Providing strategic recommendations to the Executive leadership
- Managing the processes for financial forecasting and budgets, and overseeing the preparation of all financial reporting
- Advising on long-term business and financial planning
- Establishing and developing relations with senior management and external partners and stakeholders
- Reviewing all formal finance, HR and IT related procedures
- Assist with high-level decisions about finance and organizational policy and strategy.
- Oversee the company’s fiscal activity, including budgeting, reporting, and auditing.
- Assure legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations.
- Identify and address financial risks and opportunities for the company.
- Oversee all financial forecasting, reporting, and budgeting.
- Review financial reports with an eye towards efficiency
- Work well with Chief Marketing Officer, CEO, and COO to develop the strategic plan.
- Oversee 30+ fiscal sponsorship financial administration
- Experience using Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Comfortable using internet applications
- Comfortable navigating Mac and PC operating systems
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to ask clear, goal-oriented questions
- Excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated to complete tasks within agreed-upon deadline, ability to communicate clearly about deadlines and expectations
- Able to manage time well and ask for support when needed
- Quick learner, excited about learning to use systems in new contexts
- Able to support the following tools in multiple, pre-specified contexts. Prior experience a plus, some training will be provided: Smartsheet, Zoom, Asana, Clinical Trial Management System, Medrio, HRIS
Salary range disclosed upon request. Includes full benefits package.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to send their CV and cover letter to